Thursday 13 December 2012

St George's (for Nell and Doug)


This is how St George's Church looked on 12/12/12 where I went to celebrate the life of John Douglas Grieve (1929-2012).

I've only known Doug and his wife Nell for a couple of years since they became first neighbours and very quickly firm friends. Earlier this year they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and we had a wonderful party.

Doug had the good fortune and resolution to organise his own funeral in the few weeks before he passed away under the care of Willow Wood Hospice.

He loved poetry and chose this poem to be read in church.
Remember Me

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

by Christina Rossetti.
After the ceremony Nell and her family proceeded to Dukinfield Cemetery and we met up with everyone again at Oaklands Hall - see Hyde DP Xtra.

3 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry you lost your friend. Beautiful church...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite poems, the thought resonates down the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev Norma Robinson22 January 2013 at 16:52

    Thank you for posting this lovely tribute to Doug He was a very special man and I know he is sadly missed by his family and all his friends at Enfield Court . May he rest in peace .

    ReplyDelete